Whether you're outbound from the UM campus, or preparing for a visit to Ann Arbor, there are many resources available to international travelers. Select from the list below for more specific information.
Required for All UM Travelers: Faculty, Staff, and Students
The University of Michigan's International Travel Policy applies to all faculty, staff, and students traveling internationally for University-related purposes such as study, research, internships, service, conferences, presentations, teaching, or athletic competitions. The policy outlines changes to the travel registry, travel abroad health insurance, emergency evacuation insurance, University travel warnings and restrictions, and international travel involving student groups. Please note that the University may suspend or prohibit travel for University related purposes to any faculty, staff and students where significant health and safety risk exist.
- Destinations Where U-M Travel Warnings or Restrictions Apply
Graduate students may travel to countries with a travel warning but they are required to:
- Explore Global Michigan site for specific Safety Plan requirements.
- Inform the UM trip sponsor, advisor, or contact that the proposed location is under a University Travel Warning and consult with them about the purpose of the proposed travel.
- The student must then request an exception to travel by submitting their Safety Plan to the International Travel Oversight Committee (ITOC) for review and approval related to the identified health and safety risks: email@example.com. Requests must be submitted no later than 3 weeks prior to departure.
Upon ITOC approval, students are required to:
1. Register in the University Travel Registry
3. Submit a signed University Travel Warning Destination Liability Waiver (PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Resources for Travelers
- Ebola Resources Guide
- Outbreaks & Emerging Diseases Guide
- Commonly Used Forms for Global REACH Travel
- FAQ about Travel Advances and Reconciliation for Students and Faculty Supported by Global REACH
- FAQ about Student Electives
- FAQ about Visiting the University of Michigan Medical School
- Travel Planning
- Data Security Tips for Traveling Abroad