Global REACH supports the mission and goals of the University of Michigan Medical School (UMMS) by providing educational services for UMMS students who may want to participate in an international experience, and by facilitating the visits of international scholars and learners.
International Opportunities for UMMS Students
International opportunities abound at the Medical School for all students, M1-M4. There are opportunities for students to:
- Participate in global health-related coursework and activities through the Global Health and Disparities Path of Excellence
- Participate in the Global REACH Small Group Summer Experiences mentored by U-M faculty
- Participate in M4 clinical electives at one of partner institutions
- Participate in M4 overseas research electives
- Design your own international experience for the M1 summer or conduct global health-related research with U-M faculty and their international partners while still in Ann Arbor through the Summer Biomedical Research Program (SBRP).
UMMS students may also consider taking a year off to pursue a Master's Degree at our School of Public Health, complete an internship at the World Health Organization, or work with an NGO in underserved regions of the world. Students have also successfully competed for Fogarty International Center Clinical Research Training scholarships and other full-year programs to allow for more in-depth experiences overseas.