Announcing FMUSP Winter School Travel Grants
Every year, the University of São Paulo Medical School invites medical students from around the world to network, study and socialize for two weeks at Brazil’s preeminent medical and research university.
This year marks the third annual Winter School program at Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de São Paulo (FMUSP), and students from UMMS have participated each year. The program represents a great learning opportunity, as well as a chance to connect with counterparts from around the world including students at FMUSP – the largest higher education and research institution in Brazil and the largest hospital system in Latin America. This year’s program runs from July 3-14, with individual course offerings in tropical pathology; physical and rehabilitation medicine; infectious diseases in women’s health; and more.
FMUSP offers the program free to qualified applicants. And for the first time, Global REACH is offering $1,000 grants to help offset associated travel costs. A limited number of stipends will be awarded with the expectation that awardees provide a brief report upon their return to help future students assess this potential opportunity. Priority will be given to those in the GHD Path of Excellence, but all medical students are welcome to apply. The application deadline is March 17.
- Email Global REACH Director Tania Piotrowski (Subject: WINTER SCHOOL APPLICATION) and address the items below:
- Provide a short bio (80 words or less)
- Identify your desired Winter School course(s), listing your top three in order of preference. (Find complete course info here.)
- Provide a motivation statement explaining (a) why you chose your first option and (b) how your background would contribute to this course. (Maximum 600 characters = about 100 words)
The deadline to apply for a Winter School travel grant is March 17. Funding decisions will be made by March 20 so that students have sufficient time to submit the FMUSP application by March 22. NOTE: To ease the burden imposed by this tight timeline, our application questions will essentially mirror those in the FMUSP Winter School application.
Other items needed for Winter School application
- Full academic transcripts of record (PDF)
- Support letter issued by home institutions (PDF) – this will be provided with notification of award
- Passport (PDF)
- Digital photo for the ID card (passport standard, white background, good quality, in JPG or PNG format)
Whether you plan to pursue global health as a career or are simply interested in meeting fellow students with unique perspectives and backgrounds, consider this opportunity. Feedback from past participants has always been positive and our partners at FMUSP continue to raise the bar on this program.